Saturday, September 11, 2010

Hello from the Future

Dusk is approaching on our farm. Cool weather settles in on the clear evening, revealing a bright full moon and, already, the sparkle of many stars. I carry our coffee out onto the deck, where Shelby thanks me with a smile over her laptop. She finishes up her work as I tend to the fire in the pit, and settle into my chair. Blue runs around the yard, dodging chickens, and keeps Drake busy with the ball. Occasionally Drake stops to pick up something off the ground - his discoveries have not lessened since we moved here last year. Cora is tending to her garden and gives Rusty the attention he craves by petting his fat, feline belly. Gage sits under the apple tree, drawing the landscape of the land from his perspective, and Kaitlyn studies for her test by reading to Henrietta, one of our goats. Henrietta listens intently to Kait, making eye contact and occasionally bleating her comments. It's a strange relationship that has developed on the farm. Shelby closes her laptop, places it under her chair, and takes a sip of coffee. We look at each other and smile, as we soak in the cool evening, the smell of soil and plants, and the sounds of our kids and animals. We peck a kiss and admire where we are, grab marshmallows and call for the kids. Light from the fire illuminates the faces of our family, and the smell of toasted marshmallows fills the air. We finish round two of toasty treats, house the animals, and head inside. Showered and ready for bed, the kids say good night and head up the stairs to their rooms. Blue follows Cora into her room, where she'll stay until sometime in the middle of the night, when she makes her security rounds through the house. Shelby and I get our things in order for the morning, give the kids hugs and kisses goodnight, and sit back outside. The sounds of the night are music to our ears: the crackling of the fire, crickets and toads chirping and croaking, the breeze through the trees, and even the coyotes off in the distance. Our talks now include things that we want to add to our lives, canning days, Shelby's program, and my school work. We still plan for the future, but now those plans are more immediate and exist to enhance the life we have here. We made it. We're here, and it feels so right - the past seems so far away. We put out the fire, turn out the lights, and settle into bed, dreaming of new adventures in this place that destiny so perfectly picked for us.

1 comment:

  1. I CAN'T WAIT - I CAN'T WAIT - I CAN'T WAIT - I CAN'T WAIT - I CAN'T WAIT - I CAN'T WAIT - I CAN'T WAIT - I CAN'T WAIT - I CAN'T WAIT - I CAN'T WAIT - I CAN'T WAIT - I CAN'T WAIT - I CAN'T WAIT - I CAN'T WAIT - I CAN'T WAIT...Let's do it RIGHT NOW!!!!

    ReplyDelete